Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why I Love Europeans


While I was stumping through the career blogosphere, I came across my favorite new Euro import idea:

Well the book isn't European, but the concept is.


Ummm...love you, Eueopeans! You give us cool things like French bread, Belgian beer, Spanish tapas, Italian gelato and CAREER BREAKS! By the way, I am fully aware that I just only menitoned food. Never blog when hungry!

So what is a career break? It can be anything from a "gap year for adults" (in the UK especially, post-high school teens will take a year to travel, volunteer or both after graduating from high school. That sounds dang fabulous too!). It's a time to travel; learn a new skill or hobby; return to school for more training or educational opportunities; or figuring out what you'd like to do next career-wise. Sound familiar?

Look, I recognize that I live in a country where four weeks of vacation is considered a luxury, but I truly hope this catches on here in the Good 'Ol U.S.A. As a matter of fact, we tend to shun gaps in a resume and often have to have an explanation at the ready for a prospective employer as to why we haven't lived in our offices or cubicles in months. There seems to be a stigma attached to stepping back and taking stock of our personal and professional lives.

While I love our go-g0 work culture, I think this attitude can be a disservice to workers.
If anything I wish we could change the culture of work in our country in order to make space for personal and professional growth. Maybe we would have less unfulfilled people like me having to search for their next gig. Hmmmm.....

Here are some great career break resources:


While some of these have an travel abroad focus and are not really about career transition, I think they are still worth a look.

Have you considered a career break? What would it look like?

3 comments:

Kasia Fink said...

Those Europeans have got it goin' on, in more ways than one.

My career break looks like this: diapers, breastfeeding and spit-up. ;)

lifequesting said...

I've totally considered a career break! Almost every day :) I'd go back to school - nothing beats spending a day reading and talking with friends in a coffee shop... One day...

Krista said...

We are saving for a career break right now for when we leave NYC - get rid of most things, ship the rest to our final destination and get the hell out of dodge!